Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 52

Thread: Swine flu rant...

  1. #21
    Inactive Member MikeJones's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 8th, 2007
    Posts
    3,888
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Swine flu rant...

    Quote Originally Posted by R13 View Post
    Post that exact quote from me then....post where I said that they are the same, but different name. They are two different strains, that's common sense. The seasonal flu is deadlier.
    OK once again
    Quote Originally Posted by R13
    It just has a different name

    Quote Originally Posted by R13
    What's stupid about it? Please tell me. Because I'm dying to know how the swine flu is deadlier than the seasonal flu, post some proof/numbers.....waiting....
    You said its not a threat.

    see


    Quote Originally Posted by R13
    The numbers are clear, very clear, it's not a threat
    Then I said something along the lines of you post some stupid ****
    GO VOLS

  2. #22
    Inactive Member centennialdawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 10th, 2003
    Posts
    3,263
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Swine flu rant...

    All I am saying is that until someone close to you gets it, or you get it, you will change your mind.

  3. #23
    Inactive Member R13's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 25th, 2007
    Posts
    10,269
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Swine flu rant...

    Looks like you have nothing, because I didn't say it. If you could/would read the rest, the "It just has a different name" it explains exactly what I've been saying...not that the strain isn't different, but the unfamiliar name makes people panic when it really isn't that serious.

    I'm not arguing about that anymore, my point is pretty clear for anyone that has the ability to read.


    Don't call it stupid, unless you can prove it's stupid. I asked for you to prove it wrong, you didn't and you can't. It isn't a threat, the seasonal flu is about 1,000 times the threat of the swine flu.

    _________________________________

    I'm still just wondering why there's all this panic and worry over it, I've seen nothing that calls for it. Can someone tell me why? I mean I understand a parent with a small child worrying and things a long that line, but this nation-wide emergency crap?



    Quote Originally Posted by centennialdawg View Post
    All I am saying is that until someone close to you gets it, or you get it, you will change your mind.

    They have, I know several people that got it, not died from it but several family members and friends have/had it. It's not rare, they're diagnosing it a lot and many have had it without even knowing they did ...not the least bit worried about it and they didn't fear for their lives. It's just not that serious of a problem, definitely not close to what I hear.

  4. #24
    Inactive Member 1inStripes's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 25th, 2002
    Posts
    12,052
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Swine flu rant...

    I feel like it is being overblown as well. Is it bad to get swine flu, definitely. I don't want my family getting it, but also I don't want them to get the seasonal flu. It is just as deadly.
    "Call me crazy, but I want to buy the Dallas Cowboys end zone and have the star right at the foot of my bed. That way when I score, I can spike the ball right on the star!" -Woody Paige, Around the Horn 10.9.08

  5. #25
    Inactive Member MikeJones's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 8th, 2007
    Posts
    3,888
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Swine flu rant...

    I posted quotes from you. You say its not a threat because it dont kill as many people. Kinda like saying a bomb isn't bad cause a nuke kills more people. I stand by the you post some stupid **** part.
    GO VOLS

  6. #26
    Inactive Member MikeJones's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 8th, 2007
    Posts
    3,888
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Swine flu rant...

    Quote Originally Posted by centennialdawg View Post
    All I am saying is that until someone close to you gets it, or you get it, you will change your mind.
    I agree My son had it. Seems 2 different doctors will tell you 2 different things about it and then the CDC will have something else.
    GO VOLS

  7. #27
    Inactive Member cosmo99's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 7th, 2005
    Posts
    503
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Swine flu rant...

    Obama: Swine flu a national emergency

    WASHINGTON (AP) ? President Obama declared the swine flu outbreak a national emergency, giving his health chief the power to let hospitals move emergency rooms offsite to speed treatment and protect non-infected patients.

    The declaration, signed Friday night and announced Saturday, comes with the disease more prevalent than ever in the country and production delays undercutting the government's initial, optimistic estimates that as many as 120 million doses of the vaccine could be available by mid-October.

    Health authorities say more than 1,000 people in the United States, including almost 100 children, have died from the strain of flu known as H1N1, and 46 states have widespread flu activity. So far only 11 million doses have gone out to health departments, doctor's offices and other providers, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention officials.

    Administration officials said the declaration was a pre-emptive move designed to make decisions easier when they need to be made. Officials said the move was not in response to any single development.

    Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius now has authority to bypass federal rules when opening alternative care sites, such as offsite hospital centers at schools or community centers if hospitals seek permission.

    Some hospitals have opened drive-throughs and drive-up tent clinics to screen and treat swine flu patients. The idea is to keep infectious people out of regular emergency rooms and away from other sick patients.

    Hospitals could modify patient rules ? for example, requiring them to give less information during a hectic time ? to quicken access to treatment, with government approval, under the declaration.

    It also addresses a financial question for hospitals ? reimbursement for treating people at sites not typically approved. For instance, federal rules do not allow hospitals to put up treatment tents more than 250 yards away from the doors; if the tents are 300 yards or more away, typically federal dollars won't go to pay for treatment.

    Administration officials said those rules might not make sense while fighting the swine flu, especially if the best piece of pavement is in the middle of a parking lot and some medical centers already are putting in place parts of their emergency plans.

    "I think the term emergency declaration sounds more dramatic than it really is," said Peter Hotez, a research professor and chairman of the Department of Microbiology, Immunology and Tropical Medicine at George Washington University. "It's largely an administrative move that's more preemptive ..." He said such a step would give emergency rooms and hospitals the flexibility they need.

    The national emergency declaration was the second of two steps needed to give Sebelius extraordinary powers during a crisis.

    On April 26, the administration declared swine flu a public health emergency, allowing the shipment of roughly 12 million doses of flu-fighting medications from a federal stockpile to states in case they eventually needed them. At the time, there were 20 confirmed cases in the U.S. of people recovering easily. There was no vaccine against swine flu, but the CDC had taken the initial step necessary for producing one.

    "As a nation, we have prepared at all levels of government, and as individuals and communities, taking unprecedented steps to counter the emerging pandemic," Obama wrote in Saturday's declaration.

    He said the pandemic keeps evolving, the rates of illness are rising rapidly in many areas, and there's a potential "to overburden health care resources."

    The government now hopes to have about 50 million doses of swine flu vaccine out by mid-November and 150 million in December. The flu virus has to be grown in chicken eggs, and the yield hasn't been as high as was initially hoped, officials have said.

    "Many millions" of Americans have had swine flu so far, according to an estimate that CDC Director Thomas Frieden gave Friday. The government doesn't test everyone to confirm swine flu so it doesn't have an exact count. He also said there have been more than 20,000 hospitalizations.

    Obama: Swine flu a national emergency - USATODAY.com

  8. #28
    Inactive Member SWVA-Football's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 20th, 2005
    Posts
    4,965
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Swine flu rant...

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeJones View Post
    I posted quotes from you. You say its not a threat because it dont kill as many people. Kinda like saying a bomb isn't bad cause a nuke kills more people. I stand by the you post some stupid **** part.
    How many people do you personally know who have been killed by the flu? And how long has the flu been around? Every year, correct? And Swine flu is not as deadly, correct?

    Do I really need to say what I'm trying to get at here?

    Quote Originally Posted by cosmo99 View Post
    Obama: Swine flu a national emergency

    WASHINGTON (AP) — President Obama declared the swine flu outbreak a national emergency, giving his health chief the power to let hospitals move emergency rooms offsite to speed treatment and protect non-infected patients.
    And so the hysteria continues. This is just great.

  9. #29
    Inactive Member MikeJones's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 8th, 2007
    Posts
    3,888
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Swine flu rant...

    Chubz how many people do you know that have been killed By landmines? Probly 0. That's doesn't mean they are not dangerous. For some idiot to get on here and say the swine flue is not a threat is well idiotic. Also not as many folks have had the swine flu yet.
    GO VOLS

  10. #30
    Inactive Member SWVA-Football's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 20th, 2005
    Posts
    4,965
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Swine flu rant...

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeJones View Post
    Chubz how many people do you know that have been killed By landmines? Probly 0. That's doesn't mean they are not dangerous. For some idiot to get on here and say the swine flue is not a threat is well idiotic. Also not as many folks have had the swine flu yet.
    I really think what R13 is trying to say is not that it isn't a threat in the sense of it being able to harm you (obviously, it can kill some folks), but that it isn't a threat in the sense that we're facing something totally new that is going to start killing us all off one-by-one if we aren't vaccinated. Sometimes it feels as if that's what they're trying to push, like it's some super dangerous illness that's infecting and threatening the lives of those who haven't yet been treated or vaccinated. Of course it's not good, but is any illness good? Even strep throat could be deadly in rare instances if not treated. When something so common as the seasonal flu kills more people annually according to many reports, why exactly are we putting more emphasis on this than the regular flu again? I just don't understand the panic.

    EDIT:
    Something I should add and didn't catch before is that I hope your son is doing OK if he hasn't already gotten over it or been proven to have had something else instead. I definitely wouldn't wish it on anybody, regardless of what I think about the national panic and outroar. I didn't even see that you'd mentioned that a few posts above.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •